Module 6 Summary    

Chapter 6 talks about Internet Security threats and countermeasures. The most common countermeasure taken to boost Internet Security is encryption. This is when information is coded in a manner that renders it unreadable when viewed without the key.  While encryption can be used to increase your security online, it is equally important to behave in a secure manner. For example, I generally refrain from allowing sites to save any personal information, but especially not payment information. I also regularly review my bank statements to ensure I have not had an online security breach.

Another online security concern is social media. Any easy way to boost social media protection is to set your profile to the most strict security settings. Even more important is to be conscientious about the information posted on these sites. This is a strength of my online presence. I have a very minimal social media presence, with strict privacy settings and very little personal information available about myself. Unfortunately, you are not free from risk because of good online practices. Malware is hidden software that is used to access a user's sensitive information without their knowledge. I use Norton Internet security software to help prevent these types of attacks.