Module 4 Summary    

This portion of the textbook deals with how to more effectively utilize search engines. The examples used in the text are accessing weather reports, updated news, employment and medical information. These are all uses I have had for search engines. I check the weather daily and use news filters to search recent articles about topics I have an interest in. I’ve also used Employment websites to successfully find jobs. My most recent job was acquired by using Indeed to filter jobs by salary and location. As for medical sites like WebMD, I generally only use these when I am researching an illness or injury.

A few of the other functions of search engines are real estate searching, finding products and services, locating writings from written sources, and viewing videos. I have used real estate sites like zillow to find apartments and to gauge the housing market in different areas. I have used websites like ebay, amazon, and other online retailers to find goods for many years now. For a time I was a history major at Wilkes University. While there I used many different academic databases used to conduct research. A public example would be Google Scholar. Finally, Youtube has become an invaluable tool for my everyday life. Whether it be learning how to tie a particular fly pattern or finding the best way to access the oil filter in my truck, Youtube always has an answer.