Module 1 Summary    

This portion of the textbook discusses web browsers. This was my introduction to the Internet. I started elementary school in 2000, and this is where I was introduced to the Internet and web browsing. For me, Internet Explorer or Google were synonymous with the Internet. I had no idea that I was a web client making use of a web browser to access files on a web server. As browsers have improved, so has my use of them. For example I am currently a serial bookmarker. I have the bookmark bar enabled and every webpage I might ever need to visit is just one click away.

One of the items that caught my attention was cookies. I am the perfect target for third party cookies. I will hit the “accept all cookies” button on any page I visit in order to save the 2 seconds it might take to “manage the cookies”. As far as private browsing goes, unlike your previous student, it was my wife who showed me what private browsing mode was. We were price checking flights and she told me to always visit travel sights in private mode because if they see you return and search the same travel dates twice, they’ll raise the rates. I have no idea if this is true, but my wife said it so we went with it. Despite the fact the I have been using Google as a web browser almost daily for over 25 years, I was amazed at how many advanced features are built into it.