Click each photo for a link to an article or video about the topic!

My Interests

My interests fall into two categories: hunting and passes the time until hunting season. I have included 3 of my interests on this page, with both categories represented.

Archery Elk Hunting

I went on my first archery elk hunt in 2019. Since then, this pursuit has taken over a large portion of my focus and passion. Below are a few resources that I think offer a good insight into the life of a September elk hunter.

This article by Corey Jacobsen details 5 tips from an accomplished archery elk hunter. This video by Born and Raised Outdoors shows a successful archery elk hunt in Montana. This gear list compiled by Chris Neville of GoHunt provides a detailed list of what gear is necessary to backpack hunt for elk.

Fly Tying/Fishing  

Fly tying and fly fishing are two ways I stay engaged in the outdoors during the long off months from hunting seasons. Below are some resources that show the journey of feathers and thread to a fish in the net!

This article by Ray Kyle explains the different types and uses of fly tying materials This article explains the four categories of flies, how to use them and when to use them. This video shows a fly fishing trip on the world famous Upper Madison River in SW Montana.

Shed Hunting

Shed hunting is a hobby I picked up while living in Montana. Basically, I would hike the mountains from late March through May, hoping to stumble across an antler that had been dropped by an elk or deer (or moose although I've never gotten that lucky).

This article by Tony Paterson explains the best practices and challenges around White Tail Shed Hunting. This article goes into the growing practice of elk shed hunting here in PA. This video shows a shed hunt by Eric Chesser out west, looking for brown (fresh) elk antlers in the springtime.